This rustic, gluten-free pizza is a great substitute for its gluten-filled counterpart! The pizza crust is crispy, delicious and perfect when you add your favorite toppings.
As a newly-minted mostly-gluten free girl, I have to admit I feel so much better without gluten. But, I’m going to get even more real here. I am a gluten-lover. There. I said it. I love gluten and I miss it so much. The pastas, the bread, the pizza—you brought such good things to my life. I’m sad we had to break up.
So, I’m giving gluten-free flour a chance. From my research though, it didn’t look too promising. However, the reviews for Cup4Cup Pizza Crust Mix that I picked up at Sur La Table seemed pretty decent so I gave it a try. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it! The crust is crispier than regular pizza, which is a good thing, but it wasn’t as fluffy and chewy as regular pizza. It also needed more sauce than I normally put on a pizza. Otherwise, it comes out a little more dry than I like my pizza. Overall though, this is a pretty good substitute for regular pizza crust. I truly recommend giving it a shot if you need to eat gluten-free!
I can’t wait to give this pizza crust another go around with some of my not so traditional toppings.
- Cup4Cup’s Pizza Crust mix
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Toppings of your choice (mine was sausage and mushroom)
- Sea Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Follow the instructions on the Cup4Cup bag for the pizza crust by mixing together the crust, the yeast (which is included in the bag), and the egg with a fork.
- Once the dough is mixed together to the point it is kind of crumbly, then work the dough with your hands until all of the mix is incorporated. Roll it in a ball, cover in plastic wrap, and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- While waiting for the dough, prepare the toppings.
- Pre-heat the oven to 500 degrees after the crust has rested for 30 minutes. Cut the dough in half and roll out one ball of dough on a dough mat or parchment paper—to about 12-14 inches in diameter.
- Spread olive oil over your pan.
- Pre-bake the crust for about 10 minutes in the oven.
- Remove it from the oven, and add the pizza sauce and toppings.
- Place in the oven and cook until the cheese has lightly browned, approximately 7-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!
- I highly recommend using a pizza stone as it gives it a crispier crust.