These Pepperoni Pizza Stuffed Homemade Soft Pretzels are actually easy to make, delicious, and stuffed with cheese and pepperoni! They are perfect for March Madness, fall football parties, a delicious snack, and even dinner!
Soft pretzels are my absolute favorite. If they are ever on the menu, I always jump at the chance to get them. Man, are they the perfect party snack. In fact, I like to take soft pretzels to any type of pot luck situation. I pop them in the oven to warm them back up just before we eat and everyone loves them.
If you’ve followed me for some time, you know homemade soft pretzels are my thing. I have a recipe for Rosemary Garlic Mozzarella Stuffed Soft Pretzels, Everything Soft Pretzels, Jumbo Soft Pretzel Bombs, and Soft Pretzel Sticks. So, yeah, I like soft pretzels. LOL.
I also sometimes just have them for dinner. Like, when I was recipe testing these babies. I had 1.5 of them for dinner and I was stuffed. It was an absolute pleasure recipe testing these. So. Damn. Good.
They are absolutely delicious and filling—especially these Pepperoni Pizza Stuffed Homemade Soft Pretzels. We have meat, cheese, bread…all dipped into pizza sauce. It’s like pizza and soft pretzels had a perfect baby.
Now, don’t be overwhelmed by homemade soft pretzels. These pretzels look super difficult, which is why they are always super impressive to bring to parties. BUT, they are totally easy to make.
And, there’s plenty of March Madness parties and hang outs still to come so make these soft pretzels this week!!
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (approximately 110-115°F) water
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 package of pepperoni
- 1 package of mozzarella cheese sticks
- 10 cups water
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 1 large egg yolk
- Italian Seasoning
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, pour in the warm water, sugar, salt and mix together. Then, add the dry yeast to the top and slightly mix, enough to wet it. Let stand for 5 minutes to allow the yeast to proof.
- Then, add four cups of flour, one cup at a time to the mixture until the dough isn’t sticky and pulls from the sides of the bowl.
- Remove the dough from the mixing bowl. Place it into a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it rise for approximately an hour in a warm place. It will be doubled in size when it is ready.
- Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees. Place a silpat mat on a baking sheet and set aside. Beat the egg yolk together and also set aside. Cut 16 pepperonis in half and set aside. Break 8 mozzarella sticks in half lengthwise and set aside.
- Remove the dough and place on a flat surface. Work the dough into a ball and cut into four pieces. Then, cut each of those pieces into half.
- Roll out one piece of dough with your hands into a long piece of dough about a foot long. Using a rolling pin, flatten out the dough into a rectangle, about an inch wide.
- Place four halves of pepperonis on the dough, leaving about a ½ inch of dough untouched at the ends. Then, place two halves of the mozzarella sticks lengthwise onto the dough. If the cheese is too long, no big deal: just cut or pitch off some of the length.
- Wrap one side of the dough over the mozzarella sticks and tuck the dough around it. Then, take the other side of the dough and wrap it on top of the other side of the dough and then seal it. You seal it by massaging in the seal line of the dough to make sure it stays together.
- Twist the ends together three times and then fold the twisted portion of the pretzel over the rest of the pretzel so that it looks like a pretzel.
- Repeat for the remaining 7 pieces.
- In a pot, pour the 10 cups of water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add in the baking soda.
- Drop one pretzel at a time into the boiling baking soda for approximately 30 seconds. Remove using a slotted spoon or wok spatula to drain off the water. Place on the baking sheet and baste on the yolk. Sprinkle on the Italian seasoning. Bake for 14-16 minutes until golden brown.
- When there's about 5 minutes left, pull out the pretzels and place on 2-3 pepperonis and a sprinkle of cheese. Then, place the pretzels back in the oven.
- Remove the pretzels from the oven when they are golden brown and serve immediately.
- If you aren't serving these pretzels immediately, you can re-heat them for about 5 mins in the oven just prior to serving.