Homemade Everything Soft Pretzels are absolutely delicious and pretty easy to make. The everything spice on these soft pretzels paired with this creamy pretzel cheese dip is so dang good that you think they came from the bar.
One of my favorite party foods to bring is soft pretzels. They are impressive and actually not hard to make at all. I started off just making basic pretzels with mustard or a cheese dip but in the last year I’ve really started to experiment with them like these Jumbo Cheddar Cheese Soft Pretzel Bombs. I also make some mean cinnamon sugar soft pretzels bites with a vanilla icing dip. I’ll share that recipe with you in the fall! MMMM….I’m getting hungry for pretzels again.
Don’t get scared away by the number of steps that are involved. The steps look like a lot but they really aren’t. Most of the time spent is waiting for the dough to rise. And, the time spent is so worth it. They are so delicious.
I’ve worked on this recipe enough that they are so good you wouldn’t know they weren’t store bought! Using the egg yolk without water actually gives the pretzels a little darker appearance. It won’t be as dark as a pretzel dipped in lye but it will have a nice golden brown look.
Oh and this everything spice, is good on other things too like chicken and eggs. So, if you have some left over: save it! You can totally use it later.
And, this cheese sauce is super delicious. I adapted this recipe from the lovely Sally’s Baking Addiction. It is creamy and thick enough to pair with soft pretzels. The jalapeno gives the cheese sauce a bit of a kick.
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (approximately 110-115°F) water
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 10 cups water
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced onion
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 stick butter, unsalted
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 tsp salt (add more if you desire but taste it first)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, pour in the warm water, sugar, salt and mix together. Then, add the dry yeast to the top and slightly mix, enough to wet it. Let stand for 5 minutes to allow the yeast to proof.
- Then, add four cups of flour, one cup at a time to the mixture until the dough isn’t sticky and pulls from the sides of the bowl.
- Remove the dough from the mixing bowl. Place it into a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it rise for approximately an hour in a warm place. It will be doubled in size when it is ready.
- While the dough is rising, stir together the spices for the everything spice in a small bowl and set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees. In a pot, pour the 10 cups of water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add in the baking soda. Place a silpat mat on a baking sheet and set aside. Beat the egg yolk together and also set aside.
- While the water is coming to a boil, remove the dough and place on a flat surface. Work the dough into a ball and cut into four pieces. Then, cut each of those pieces into thirds.
- Roll out one piece of dough with your hands into a long piece of dough about a foot long. Twist the ends together three times and then fold the twisted portion of the pretzel over the rest of the pretzel so that it looks like a pretzel.
- Repeat for the remaining 11 pieces.
- Drop 2-3 pretzels at a time into the boiling baking soda for approximately 30 seconds. Remove using a slotted spoon or wok spatula to drain off the water. Place on the baking sheet and baste on the yolk. Sprinkle on the everything spice Bake for 14-16 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove the pretzels from the oven and serve immediately.
- Chop and seed the jalapeno pepper and measure all of the ingredients. Once the ingredients are on the stove and cooking, you shouldn’t leave it.
- In a medium sauce pan, heat the milk to the point where the milk begins to bubble. While the milk is warming, in another pan melt the butter and then whisk in the flour to make a paste.
- Add in the warm milk and whisk for two minutes until it thickens. Whisk in the shredded cheese.
- Add the jalapenos, salt and pepper when the shredded cheese is mostly incorporated. Whisk together until the cheese sauce is completely mixed.
- Let it stand for a few minutes and the sauce will thicken.