These Honey Chili Lime Shrimp Tostadas are absolutely delicious with pineapple salsa, crumbled queso cheese and healthy baked tostadas. They are super easy to make and the perfect weeknight gluten free dinner.
Shrimp is one of my favorite things to cook. Mostly because I am typically just cooking for myself or maybe one extra person, and really I’m kind of lazy and don’t want to cook for an hour for myself on a weeknight.
So, long the way, I have created my own special dressed up weeknight meals. I’ve realized a lot of them are shrimp…and on a side note I’ve been working on changing that up a bit. The thing is thought shrimp is SO EASY to cook. Throw together some sauce, veggies, and a tortilla—and dinner is served.
These honey chili lime shrimp tostadas are one of my go-to recipes. They take under 30 minutes to make and are super tasty. The shrimp has a sweet spice to it paired with the pineapple salsa. The tortillas are baked instead of fried. There’s a bit of cheese and some beans there too. They actually taste like an indulgent meal when in fact they are pretty low in calories. Plus, the corn tortillas and the marinade are both gluten free so my body thanks me.
I used to be all about the flour tortilla but with having a gluten sensitivity I’ve pretty much cut them out of my diet. I mean, I’ll occasionally have one but it has to be “worth it”—you know the girl math that some food is worth a little discomfort and extra calories if it is so dang good!
Luckily with these tostadas, no girl math is needed.
- 8 corn tortillas
- 40 medium sized shrimp, uncooked
- 1/2 can refined beans
- 1/4 cup crumbled white queso cheese
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- Juice from half a lime
- 2 cups pineapple chopped (or 1 can of pineapple tid bits—not in syrup)
- 1 jalapeno, ribbed, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- Juice from one lime
- Pinch of sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil a baking sheet with olive oil and place the corn tortillas on the sheet. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the tortillas are crisp.
- While the tortillas are baking, prepare the pineapple salsa by chopping the ingredients and then mixing them together in a medium bowl.
- Mix together the ingredients in a small bowl for the marinade. Place marinade and uncooked shrimp in a Ziploc bag and shake until the shrimp is covered in the sauce. Let it sit for 5 minutes while the grill pan heats up on medium heat.
- Cook the shrimp for 2 minutes on each side or until slightly pink.
- Heat the refried beans either on a stovetop or the microwave until they are warm.
- Assemble the tostadas by first spreading a light layer of beans onto each of the corn tortillas.
- Then, top with shrimp, lettuce, cheese and pineapple salsa.
- Serve immediately.