Start Taco Tuesday off right with these California Breakfast Tacos! They are super delicious, healthy, and full of veggies. Bonus: they only take 15 minutes to make.
My go-to recipe for breakfast is this veggie scramble that I shared with you last year. I am kind of ashamed at how little I actually mix it. Every morning, like clockwork, I wake up and make that veggie scramble. Trying to mix it up, I’ve been adding it to a bagel lately, which is absolutely horrible for calorie counts. I mean, it’s delicious. Super delicious. But, knocking out half of my calories for the day in one meal is not the best way to start the day.
So, I tossed the bagel aside and added in some corn tortillas, salsa and jalapenos. And, I found my new go-to breakfast: California Breakfast Tacos. They are easy and quick to make. In fact, they only take 15 minutes to make and most of the time is just chopping the vegetables.
The recipe makes four tacos, which means it’s meant for sharing (or a super hungry day). I only needed two tacos to fill me up so if you are cooking for one just cut the recipe in half.
I do have to say that making this recipe reminds me how much I wish I lived closer to California so that my avocados were fresh. I know we all joke about the short time frame we have to eat an avocado but I feel like the struggle is worse in the Midwest. Yes, I’m totally being a brat. Should I move just to be closer to avocado? I bet they taste better.
Despite my ode to wanting fresher avocados, I eat one pretty much every day and you should too!! Start your day with these California Breakfast Tacos and you’ll thank me!
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup shredded cheese
- 1 avocado
- 4 corn tortillas
- Chop the veggies. Cut the avocado. Set the veggies aside.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk.
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat and heat up the corn tortillas for about one minute on each side. Once you’ve finished the tortillas, add a tsp of olive oil.
- Then, add the onions and let them cook for one minute.
- Add the egg mixture to the skillet and use a spatula to scramble the eggs.
- Then, add the tomatoes and cheddar cheese.
- Spoon the eggs and veggies onto the corn tortillas. Add any additional toppings and eat immediately!