This Asparagus, Leek, Tomato and Goat Cheese Frittata is the perfect weekend brunch meal. With fresh, in-season spring vegetables, this dish delivers a tasty meal that’s also low-carb and gluten-free.
Have you ever eaten a frittata like cake before? Well, if the answer is no, get to your kitchen right now and make this Asparagus, Leek, Tomato and Goat Cheese Frittata. I would never imagine in a million years that I would be so satisfied by eggs, vegetables and just a small bit of cheese. But, I kept going back for more. Like, more than I want to admit. I just kept slicing off just a little more…like you do a really good cake.
I absolutely love making easy meals that look super fancy. This frittata is a one-skillet pan recipe, takes under 30 minutes to make, and is incredibly delicious. What’s also great about this frittata in particular is that it’s really healthy and helps us get in those daily vegetable servings.
With both leeks and asparagus in season, they have such a superior taste right now. Mixing them together and pairing them with tomatoes (come on tomato season!!) and goat cheese deliver a powerful, fresh spring meal.
The frittata is perfect for a Sunday brunch or weekend breakfast since it does take more than the 5 minutes I give to weekday breakfasts. BUT, if you are a fan of breakfast for dinner, this meal will deliver. You could even make it on a Sunday and eat it for the next few days so you don’t have to spend any time in the kitchen during breakfast time.
Playing around with in-season produce is one of my goals for the year. It’s healthier, it tastes better, and helps introduce new vegetables into my diet. In fact, before I started recipe testing for this frittata, I hadn’t cooked with leeks before. Crazy, huh? I was always a little intimated by them and heard they were a pain to clean. They aren’t and really for this recipe you are only using the white and light green areas of the leak, which isn’t hard to clean at all.
- 8 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 20 asparagus spears
- 2/3 cup leeks, chopped
- 10 grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup goat cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Using 1 tbsp olive oil, oil a 12 inch cast iron skillet and place on a burner on medium heat.
- While the skillet is warming up, chop and slice the vegetables.
- Place the spears (with ends chopped off) into the skillet once it's hot and cook until they are tender--about 10 minutes. When the asparagus is almost cooked, add in the chopped leaks to soften them just slightly.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk while the vegetables are cooking. Pour mixture into skillet, add in the tomatoes and let it cook for 2-3 minutes to set.
- Place into the oven for about 10-12 minutes, or until completely cooked.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle on the goat cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!