If you are looking for some punched-up autumn granola, you have to try this Apple Cider Granola. It takes just a few minutes to prep this delicious breakfast or snack!
I have to admit that I’m totally a protein, low-carb, veggie breakfast kind of girl. When I was in Paris a few weeks ago, I struggled a bit for breakfast. They are heavy on the pastry or croissant for breakfast. About day three, I sought out this little breakfast place for a chanterelle mushroom and swiss omelet. It was delicious but really just proves what my body actually needs. Don’t get me wrong, I love croissants but I eat one and an hour later, I’m hungry again.
So, all of this to say: I love my breakfast. But, I’ve been in a bit of a rut. I’m bored with it and I’ve started experimenting with different breakfast recipes. Well, one day last week, I had some leftover apple cider and decided to experiment with granola. I browned up some cinnamon and brown sugar apples, added some nuts, oatmeal, a dash of cinnamon, and my leftover cider. I popped it in the oven for 45 minutes and had the most delicious granola. I pair it with some vanilla yogurt and an egg on the side. It was delicious, balanced, and not at all boring.
I MAY have snacked on it a bit when I made it again yesterday for the blog. It’s totally filling and I ended up missing lunch altogether. Plus, it wasn’t hard to make and basically took no effort at all. When it comes to meal prep, that’s exactly how I like it!
I took some time off this year. You might have noticed. If you stuck around, I super appreciate it. I needed the time to focus on a bunch of life stuff and I wasn’t all that into cooking, baking, or eating. Have you ever had that happen to you? Super tough when you have a food blog and you aren’t into food.
But, I started spending time in the kitchen again and loved it. In fact, just this morning I started my sourdough starter. <<<—- Super excited about that.
And, it’s a great time to get back into the kitchen too. All of the end of year holidays are full of delicious food and I couldn’t be happier to put on my apron and start creating delicious recipes again!!
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 cups oats
- 1 cup raw pecans, chopped
- 1 cup raw almonds, sliced
- Pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 cup of apple cider
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Peel and chop apples.
- In a pan over medium heat, add the butter, apples, 1/2 tbsp of cinnamon, and brown sugar. Cook until tender, about 5-6 minutes.
- While the apples are cooking, mix together the oats, pecans, almonds, remaining cinnamon, salt. Once it is mixed and the apples are done, add the apple cider and mix. Add the apples and mix again.
- Line a baking sheet (with ridges) with parchment paper. Spread the granola evenly and cook for about 45 minutes**. Half way through, use a spatula to flip/toss the granola so that it bakes evenly on both sides.
- **Oven times differ. The granola should be dry and golden when done.